Meteora (Greek: Met�ora) is one of the gems of Greece. Located near the towns of Kalampaka and Kastraki in northwestern Thessaly it consists of a number of rock pinnacles topped with a total of 24 monasteries.
The following monasteries can be visited and are located nearby the road circuiting Meteora. Clockwise you'll find:
- Agiou Nikolaou monastery (St. Nickolas Anapausas)
- Agias Varvaras Rousanou monastery (St. Barbara)
- Varlaam monastery
- Megalou Meteorou monastery (Great Meteoron)
- Agias Triados monastery (Holy Trinity)
- Agiou Stefanou monastery (St. Stephen, the only monastery for women)
An entrance fee is expected by some monasteries which might be about � 2. Inexpensive, mass produced icons may be purchased in the monasteries for as little as � 1. They do not have the variety of the factories, however.